Posting: February 02, 2024
Closing: Open Until Filled
Applications may be completed online at www.cityofbryant.com or picked up at the Human Resource Department at 210 S.W. 3rd Street, Bryant, AR 72022. A city application must be completed and submitted to be considered for this position.
Download Full Description
$38,109 - $47,636
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
This position provides pleasant customer service for City Hall visitors. Answers and directs calls. Assists the Human Resources department with hiring process details.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides pleasant customer service to visitors of City Hall.
2. Answers and directs calls to departments throughout the city.
3. Reviews all applications to ensure they are complete. Downloads and forwards applications and resumes to hiring managers in a timely fashion. Ensures hard-copy applications are stocked as needed in the lobby.
4. Schedules interviews and compiles interview books for all departments.
5. Answers questions regarding applications and position updates.
6. Responsible for pre-employment processing to include reference checking, arranging physicals/drug screens and entering candidates into the background check database. Works closely with HR Manager to schedule new hire orientations.
7. Schedules pre-employment physicals and drug screens.
8. Develops and maintains effective filing system for all open jobs and applications.
9. Compiles new hire packets for both full and part-time employees.
10. Responsible for effective close-out of open jobs to include notification to interviewees who were not selected.
11. Responsible for the employee evaluation process to include notifying supervisors of all evaluations due throughout the year and processing them through payroll when they are completed.
12. Compiles all documents for new hire folders and files them appropriately in a timely fashion.
13. Assists HR Manager with payroll processing and review.
14. Receives, sorts and delivers mail throughout City Hall on a daily basis.
15. Responsible for working with the Finance department to complete credit card purchase reporting on a monthly basis.
16. Responsible for ordering office supplies as needed for the HR department.
17. Assists the HR department with various projects to include, document preparation, database management, document retention, filing, etc.
18. Responsible for managing the worker's compensation process to include tracking claims, submitting all documentation and following-up with providers and employees.
19. Maintains positive and professional relationships with colleagues throughout the city.
20. Performs other duties as assigned and as needed.
21. Regular and punctual attendance is an essential function of this position.
22. Ability to work overtime.
23. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school or GED, plus specialized schooling and/or on the job education in a specific skill area; e.g. data processing, clerical/administrative, equipment operation, etc, plus 2 years related experience and/or training, and 7 to 11 months related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read a limited number of words and recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers; ability to write and speak simple sentences as a means for basic communication. ability to read and understand simple instructions, short correspondence, notes, letters and memos; ability to write simple correspondence. ability to read and understand documents such as policy manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence. ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with customers, clients, general public and other employees of the organization. ability to read, analyze, and understand general business/company related articles and professional journals; ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees. ability to write reports, business correspondence, and policy/procedure manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. ability to read, analyze, and understand common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents; ability to respond to complex or difficult inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of known variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram formats.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid Arkansas drivers license or a valid drivers license recognized by the State of Arkansas.
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Intermediate: Accounting, Alphanumeric Data Entry, Contact Management, Human Resources Systems, Payroll Systems
Basic: 10-Key, Database, Spreadsheet, Word Processing/Typing
Under direction where a definite objective is set up and the employee plans and arranges own work, referring only unusual cases to supervisor.
Considerable responsibility with regard to general assignments in planning time, method, manner, and/or sequence of performance of own work; may also occasionally assist in the planning of work assignments performed by others within a limited area of operation.
Performs work operations which permit frequent opportunity for decision-making of minor importance and also frequent opportunity for decision-making of major importance; the latter of which would affect the work operations of other employees and/or clientele to a moderate degree.
Close mental demand. Operations requiring close and continuous attention for control of operations. Operations requiring intermittent direct thinking to determine or select the most applicable way of handling situations regarding the organization's administration and operations; also to determine or select material and equipment where highly variable sequences are involved.
ANALYTICAL ABILITY / PROBLEM SOLVING
Moderately structured. Fairly broad activities using moderately structured procedures with only generally guided supervision. Interpolation of learned things in somewhat varied situations.
Probable errors would not likely be detected until they reached another department, office or patron, and would then require considerable time and effort to correct the situation. Frequently, possibility of error that would affect the organization's prestige and relationship with the public to a limited extent, but where succeeding operations or supervision would normally preclude the possibility of a serious situation arising as a result of the error or decision.
FREEDOM TO ACT
Directed. Freedom to complete duties as defined by wide-ranging policies and precedents with mid to upper-level managerial oversight.
IMPACT ON END RESULTS
Moderate impact. Job has a definite impact on the organization's end results. Participates with others in taking action for a department and/or total organization.
Regular contacts with patrons where the contacts are initiated by the employee. Involves both furnishing and obtaining information and, also, attempting to influence the decisions of those persons contacted. Contacts of considerable importance and of such nature, that failure to exercise proper judgment may result in important tangible or intangible losses to the organization.
Contacts with other departments or offices and also frequently with individuals in middle level positions; consulting on problems which necessitate judgment and tact in presentation to obtain cooperation or approval of action to be taken. Also, important contacts with associates as required in advanced supervisory jobs.
USE OF MACHINES, EQUIPMENT AND/OR COMPUTERS
Regular use of highly complex machines and equipment; specialized or advanced software programs.
Normal working conditions as found within an office setting, wherein there is controlled temperature and a low noise level, plus a minimum of distractions.
The following work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.