Maintain Your Sewer

Sewer Smart Tips

Sanitary sewer systems are designed to handle three types of waste products;
  1. Used water
  2. Human body waste
  3. Toilet paper
Some do’s and don’ts to help keep sewer working properly

  • DO; Collect grease in a container and dispose of it in the trash.
  • DO; Place food scraps in the garbage for disposal with solid waste.
  • DO; Place a waste basket in the bathroom to dispose of solid waste. (Disposable diapers and personal hygiene products do not belong in the sewer system)
  • DO; Use a Backflow prevention devise (BPD) as needed.
  • DONT; Pour grease, fats, and oils from cooking down the drain.
  • DON’T; Use the sewer to dispose of food scraps
  • DON’T; Use the toilet as a wastebasket for garbage and chemicals. These items can kill “good” bacteria used for sewage treatment, and cost much more to treat
  • DON’T: Plant trees with shallow ,spreading root system near your sewer lateral. Tree roots seek water sources, such as cracked sewer lines. Once the roots have penetrated the line through cracks, the roots can create a dense mat and trap materials.



If your sewer system doesn't have a clean out, you should have one installed to allow access to clear any blockages in your line. Even if you have a clean out, you also need a backflow prevention device installed in the sewer lateral if your plumbing system is located below the cleanout or less than one foot above the nearest uphill sewer main manhole.

Backup Prevention Devices (BPDs)

BPDs allow water and backup materials to escape from the cleanout rather than flowing into the home. Many sewer relief devices or BPDs can be installed by the homeowner or a plumber. A properly installed BPD may also protect your home from damage-causing overflows should your own sewer lateral line – the connection between your home and the sewer main – be broken or otherwise become blocked.


Q. How do I know if I have a BPD device or not?

A. Look for a typically round lid or cap around your house, normally 3 or 4 inch in diameter, some may be a cap, screw in cap or a pop up cap. These are usually located on the same side of your house that the city sewer main is on. City wastewater department can assist you finding the city main.

Q. How can I get a backup prevention device (BPD)?

A. Most Hardware or department stores carry most types of backup prevention devices.

Q. Can I call the City first if my sewer isn't working properly?

A. ABSOLUTELY! The City of Bryant Wastewater Collection Department encourages all of our customers to call us FIRST and make sure it’s not the city main stopped up.

Q. Can I call after hours and on weekends and holidays?

A. Yes, there is someone ON CALL 24/7 365 days a year.

Q. Who is responsible for what with sewer maintenance and up keep?

A. The City maintains municipal mains and manholes only, the service connection to the house or building is private service and maintained by the property owner , or a qualified plumber.

Q. My house is damaged by a sewer back up, will the City pay for repairs?

A. No, unless negligence can be shown or proven The City of Bryant is not responsible for private property damage.